Brief Description of Job and Division/Department
Department of Finance, Purchasing Division: Under supervision of the QPA, prepares bid documents, request for proposals (RFP), competitive contracts, etc. , and arranges for the purchase of goods & services and construction projects, used by various departments; does other related duties as required.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Reviews purchasing requisitions, checks descriptions and specifications for adequacy and accuracy, and consults with concerned parties to adjust discrepancies within MSI (Municipal Software Inc.) system.
- Prepares proposals (Requests for Proposals - RFP) to be published in the local newspaper and BidNet, reviews Scope of Work and ensures they are clearly written by the requesting departments, reviews proposals when received by the QPA, and reviews vendors' qualifications are properly investigated.
- Assists various departments to ascertain prices/availability of goods & services on State of New Jersey Contracts (NJSTART) and/or Cooperative Pricing Systems, and ability of vendors to deliver specified items.
- Prepares bid documents for various departments such as Administration, Finance, Human Services, Law & Public Safety, Public Work for contractual purchasing, in accordance with N.J.S.A. 40A-11A-1 (Local Public Contracts Law).
- Analyzes proposals received from vendors and prepares resolutions for the Board of County Commissioners in accordance with rules and regulations of the jurisdiction or agency.
- May assist in the preparation of statistical, cost, and other reports. Prepares correspondence concerned with purchase matters.
- Maintains records and files.
- Prepares correspondence concerned with purchase matters.
EDUCATION: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's degree. Two (2) years of experience in the large scale purchase of commodities, materials, equipment, and/or supplies. Experience in purchasing for a government entity and knowledge of public procurement procedures preferred. Qualified Purchasing Agent (QPA) license preferred.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of methods and procedures involved in the purchase of equipment, materials, and/or supplies.
- Knowledge of laws, regulations, policies, standards, and procedures relating to a government purchasing department after a period of training. Knowledge of and familiarity with problems encountered in field and office purchasing work for a government agency.
- Knowledge of recordkeeping procedures.
- Ability to organize assigned work and develop effective work methods.
- Ability to comprehend and analyze individual supply problems and particular needs of various departments.
- Ability to work harmoniously with associates, superior officers, vendors, and others interested in or concerned with purchase matters.
- Ability to perform such duties as may be required to develop procedures for receiving, tabulating, and recording requisitions in one or more areas received from different departments and the preparation of proposals to be sent to vendors and the checking of bids.
- Ability to maintain records and files.
- Ability to utilize various types of electronic and/or IT systems used by the agency, office, or related units.
- Ability to read, write, speak, understand, and communicate in English sufficiently to perform duties of this position.
- Morris County resident preferred.
Department and Division
10 Court Street
Morristown NJ, 07963