The Morris County Office of Temporary Assistance is seeking candidates for the position of Clerk 1 Bilingual in Spanish & English. Under close supervision, performs routine, repetitive clerical work involving the processing of documents in a variety of functions; does other related duties as as required.
Bilingual in Spanish and English
Applicants must be able to read, write, speak, understand, or communicate in Spanish and English sufficiently to perform the duties of this position.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Receives, screens, reviews and verifies documents.
- Reviews and checks assigned reports, applications, and other documents for corrections and completeness; refers problems to a lead worker or supervisor for resolution.
- Opens, time stamps, sorts, numbers, and distributes mail.
- Maintains prepared mailing lists.
- Sorts, indexes, and files checks, cash stubs, vouchers, requisitions and other materials, numerically, alphabetically, or according to other predetermined classification; maintains such files.
- Receives applications, documents, forms and fees; screens, sorts and assembles this information for further processing.
- Hand stamps letters, papers, and other documents.
- Fills in and checks form letters, circulars, and forms as directed.
- Compiles information and/or numerical data.
- Provides general, routine information in person and over the telephone; refers complicated or non-routine inquiries to appropriate staff.
- May enter and/or retrieve information on a computer terminal.
- May occasionally perform keyboarding/typing duties, but not as the primary function of the position.
- May assist in requisitioning, storing, and distributing office supplies.
- Schedules administrative proceedings; may process requests for scheduling changes.
- May transfer information onto forms, form letters, cards, envelopes, labels, charts and transmittals
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Knowledge of office routines, equipment, and practices after a period of training.
- Ability to comprehend established office routines and department regulations.
- Ability to organize assigned clerical work and develop effective work methods.
- Ability to make simple arithmetic calculations and tabulations.
- Ability to understand, remember, and carry out oral and written directions.
- Ability to perform tasks accurately within prescribed time frames.
- Ability to work effectively with associates, superior officials, and members of the public concerned with the work of the department.
- Ability to sort, index, file, and pull varied types of materials using an established filing system.
- Ability to operate and perform routine maintenance on office machines and other equipment.
- Ability to utilize various types of electronic and/or manual recording and information systems used by the agency, office, or related units after a period of training.
- Ability to read, write, speak, understand, and communicate in English sufficiently to perform duties of this position. American Sign Language or Braille may also be considered as acceptable forms of communication.
- Persons with disabilities are eligible as long as they can perform essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation. If the accommodation cannot be made because it would cause the employer undue hardship, such persons may not be eligible.
The successful candidates should have strong computer skills (i.e., Word, Excel) and have the ability to learn other operating systems. Ability to read, write, speak, understand, and communicate in English sufficiently to perform duties of this position. American Sign Language or Braille may also be considered as acceptable forms of communication.
340 W Hanover Ave
Morristown, NJ 07960