Employees in this title perform routine clerical work within a structured work setting involving the processing of documents in a variety of functions. Duties are performed using well-established operating procedures. Employees work under very close supervision and clearly defined guidelines.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Receives, screens, reviews and verifies documents.
- Reviews and checks assigned reports, applications, and other documents for corrections and completeness;
- refers problems to a lead worker or supervisor for resolution.
- Opens, time stamps, sorts, numbers, and distributes mail.
- Receives applications, documents, forms and fees; screens, sorts and assembles this information for further processing.
- Assembles materials for distribution.
- Compiles information and/or numerical data.
- Provides general, routine information in person and over the telephone; refers complicated or non-routine inquiries to appropriate staff.
- Enters and/or retrieves information on a computer.
- Will perform keyboarding/typing duties.
- May assist in requisitioning, storing, and distributing office supplies.
- May assist in preparing and verifying payrolls and make simple arithmetic calculations.
- Schedules administrative proceedings; may process requests for scheduling changes.
- May transfer information onto forms, form letters, cards, envelopes, labels, charts and transmittals.
- Prepares routine reports or assists in the preparation of reports by gathering data, tabulating results, and/or preparing simple charts.
- Maintains records and files.
- Will be required to learn to utilize various types of electronic and/or manual recording and information systems used by the agency, office, or related units.
- Knowledge of office routines, equipment, and practices after a period of training.
- Ability to comprehend established office routines and department regulations.
- Ability to organize assigned clerical work and develop effective work methods.
- Ability to make simple arithmetic calculations and tabulations.
- Ability to understand, remember, and carry out oral and written directions.
- Ability to perform tasks accurately within prescribed time frames.
- Ability to work effectively with associates, superior officials, and members of the public concerned with the work of the department.
- Ability to sort, index, file, and pull varied types of materials using an established filing system.
- Ability to operate and perform routine maintenance on office machines and other equipment.
- Ability to utilize various types of electronic and/or manual recording and information systems used by the agency, office, or related units after a period of training.
Ability to read, write, speak, understand, and communicate in English sufficiently to perform duties of this position. American Sign Language or Braille may also be considered as acceptable forms of communication. Persons with mental or physical disabilities are eligible as long as they can perform essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation. If the accommodation cannot be made because it would cause the employer undue hardship, such persons may not be eligible.
Morristown, NJ 07960