Brief Description of Job and Division/Department
The Director of Communications is a full-time professional who leads the Office of Communications & Digital Media and reports directly to the Assistant County Administrator. The Communications team is composed of the Director, a Website & Digital Manager, a Digital Content Manager & Media Specialist, and a part-time Editor/Photographer.
Essential Functions, Responsibilities & Requirements
- Development of a deep knowledge of county programming, services and public policies provided by Morris County’s six departments, Board of County Commissioners, constitutional offices, commissions, authorities, educational institutions and nonprofit partners.
- Daily execution of a multi-faceted public information campaign designed to highlight and emphasize the initiatives, services and strategies by which Morris County’s government operations and partnerships with nonprofits and private organizations serve the residents, visitors and businesses in Morris County and enhance their quality of life. The Office also is responsible for alerting the public to government services available in times of emergency or crisis, and it is responsible for notifying the public when such emergencies have been declared.
- Plan, develop and executive social media campaigns, videos, website announcements augmented by social media and traditional press releases targeting different levels of press to inform constituents, residents, businesses, industry leaders and public officials on all levels about Morris County government activities. Subject matter includes policies, programs, new and existing services that impact the lives of Morris County residents, with explanations on how tax dollars and/or grants are used to support those services and operations.
- Work with the Morris County Chamber of Commerce, the Morris County Economic Development Corporation, the County College of Morris and other partners to promote Morris County as a destination point for visitors as well as a supportive home and environment for new residents and a relocation destination for industry.
- Oversight of social media communications. Management of the county website, along with staff and professional support, to provide the public with more convenient and seamless avenues to deal with county government agencies and services.
- Preparation and transmission of a weekly e-newsletter encapsulating the week’s activities by Commissioners and/or departments and services, as well as highlighting interesting events planned in the community.
- Organization of programs and acknowledgements at Board of County Commissioners work sessions and public meetings, as well as event planning in local communities to highlight significant programs and services as well as honor people, places and events that reflect positively on Morris County. Organizing these events also requires preparation of remarks for County Commissioners, coordination of photography or videography and making arrangements with the Division of Buildings & Grounds to ensure locational amenities appropriate for each event.
- Annual and special event planning, often with other county partners and departments, for such occasions as the Commissioners’ Annual Reorganization Meeting, Memorial Day Recognition, 9-11 Remembrance and presentations of the Morris County Distinguished Military Service medals to veterans.
- Response to emails, phone calls and other correspondences intended for the County Commissioners or agency leads. Requires thoughtful interaction with all parties involved and consistent messaging.
- Oversight of physical/paper messaging, brochures, flyers, pamphlets, maps, that provide important information on county government and related programs and services.
- Deep knowledge of the County of Morris and the government functions. Excellent communication ability, both written and oral. Ability to manage small teams, and also work collaboratively with a very large team.
- A Bachelor’s Degree or higher in a Communications related area of study is preferred, but not mandatory depending on work experience. A minimum of 5 years of professional experience in marketing and/or communications is required.
- Paramount is the ability to act as a confidential aide to all members of the county administration as well as the Commissioners, maintaining their trust and cooperatively working with all members of the board and administration.
Morris County Administration & Records Building
10 Court Street, 5th floor
PO BOX 900
Morristown, NJ 07963-0900