Morris County Employment and Training Office is seeking a candidate for the position of Employment Counselor. This position is responsible for assisting clients with identifying appropriate training to re-enter the workforce, providing career counseling, coordinating funding resources for training, and completing the necessary documentation for services provided. It is governed by policies and regulations of the County of Morris Department of Human Services, the Morris/Sussex/Warren (MSW) Workforce Development Board, MSW Employment and Training Services, and applicable State and Federal funding source regulations and requirements.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Conduct weekly Training Orientations via Webex or in-person to job seekers interested in training.
- Review client background to determine eligibility as per funding source requirements.
- Provide clients with assistance in formulating an Employability Development Plan/Individual Service Strategy to improve the client’s chance of gaining paid employment.
- Counsel clients on employability skills, job search skills, and occupational and career choices to promote self-insight.
- Refer clients to supportive services as necessary.
- Collect and submit eligibility documentation to ETS Management Information Systems Unit.
- Coordinate with other staff members, community agencies, training institutions, and OJT employers in implementing the client’s Employability Development Plan/ Individual Service Strategy.
- Review and collect client timesheets for appropriate signatures and approve hours.
- Maintain frequent contact with an active caseload to ensure successful client progress through training and job search to unsubsidized employment.
- Provide follow-up assistance as required.
- Data enter all information as required for performance into NJDOL and ETS database systems.
- Complete and submit weekly, monthly, and other reports as needed.
- Maintain electronic and paper files on all clients, ensuring confidential, thorough, and accurate documentation of all information.
- Conduct recruitment activities such as participating in career and job fairs, Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN), Response Team Sessions (lay-off meetings), and other outreach activities as may arise from time to time.
- Represent the Agency at meetings and functions as assigned.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
A Bachelor’s Degree and/or Master’s Degree in social work, counseling, psychology, education. • Minimum 1-2 years’ experience social/human services experience. Government/non-profit work experience is a plus. • Valid Driver’s License. Position may require the use of one’s vehicle.
Department and Division
Human Services-Employment and Training Services
Phillipsburg, NJ 08865