The Morris County Public Safety Academy is seeking candidates for the position of part time Fire Instructor. Under direction, gives instructions and demonstrates various firefighting techniques and procedures; instructs students in the use and care of fire-fighting apparatus and equipment, and supervises the activities of students participating in fire drills; does related work as required.
NOTE: The examples of work for this title are for illustrative purposes only. A particular position using this title may not perform all duties listed in this job specification. Conversely, all duties performed on the job may not be listed.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
EXAMPLES OF WORK
- Provides training and instruction in all phases of fire-fighting, fire prevention, and salvage operations.
- Lectures and demonstrates fire prevention and fire protection methods.
- Oversees activities of fire companies engaged in simulated exercises.
- Instructs students in the use and care of various fire-fighting apparatus, the methods of responding to fire alarms, and the use of fire vehicles.
- Provides instructions and demonstrates various fire-fighting techniques including forcible entry into burning buildings, use of portable fire extinguishers, ladder climbing, salvage operations, hose layout and hydrant connections, use and care of hoses and protective breathing equipment, rescue and first-aid practices and procedures, and methods of extinguishing fires.
- Shows films in fire-fighting techniques and fire protection.
- Prepares visual aid material for instructional use.
- Maintains equipment and facilities at the fire training center.
Prepares and maintains records and files.
- Monitors student attendance and administers tests to determine student progress and understanding of subject matter.
- Returns apparatus, equipment, training aides, and records to proper storage areas.
- Will be required to learn to utilize various types of electronic and/or manual recording and computerized information systems used by the agency, office, or related units
- Three (3) years of experience as a paid or volunteer firefighter and/or instructor in the use of various firefighting techniques and procedures in the control and extinguishing of fires in either a paid or volunteer capacity.
Applicants must possess a valid Fire Service Instructor Certificate of the appropriate level, issued by the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs. Level 1 is the minimum requirement. The Appointing Authority may determine that a Level 2 is required, based upon the specific needs of their jurisdiction.
Preference in hiring will be given to individuals possessing the following:
- Fire Instructor 2
- State of New Jersey or National Registry Emergency Medical Technician - Basic
- Police Training Commission (PTC) Certified PT Instructor
- Appointees will be required to possess a driver's license valid in NJ only if the operation of a vehicle, rather than employee mobility, is necessary to perform essential duties of the position.
An application must be filed via https://morriscountynj.seamlessdocs.com/f/jobApplication. Your cover letter, resume and all required certificates must be uploaded via this portal for consideration for hiring into this position. Eligible candidates shall be subject to a thorough background investigation and physical exam including drug screening.
500 West Hanover Ave
Morris Plains NJ 07950