CODIS Overview & Update on DNA Collection Law
Overview of CODIS and the New Jersey DNA Collection Program
The goal of the CODIS Compliance Unit is to get all New Jersey law enforcement personnel fully trained in the CODIS program. This two-hour class will bring attendees completely up to date with when and how DNA collection is required in New Jersey. The course will cover the following information:
- Overview of the NJ and national CODIS programs and how they can help your agency
- The four times DNA collection is required in New Jersey
- Why CODIS and DNA collection should be a consideration during every arrest
- Demonstration on how to collect a DNA sample
- Four ways to research if an offender’s DNA is already in the CODIS database
- What to do when your agency receives a DNA hit letter
- Handling offenders who refuse to provide DNA
- Receive reference materials for your agency
- Certificates awarded to those who complete the training
This class is perfect as both an introduction to CODIS or a refresher for those who may have had training before.
Registration is required.
To register for CODIS training, use this link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/codisnj
- Date and location of the session you will be attending
- Name, rank, and agency of each officer attending (Special officers and civilian personnel who collect DNA are welcome)
- Email address of each officer attending
- Phone number of each officer attending
You will receive a confirmation email. If you have any questions, please contact our training coordinator Lillian Dutton at (609) 376-2369 or [email protected].
Conducted by CODIS Compliance Unit New Jersey Division of Criminal Justice
Thursday, November 09, 2023 | 10:00 AM
- 12:00 PM
Morris County Public Safety Academy, 500 West Hanover Avenue, Morristown, 07963, View Map