Brief Description of Job and Division/Department
Under direction, operates one or more types of gasoline or diesel powered equipment to perform assignments to push, pull, pile, lift, and load materials; clears brush and debris; levels earth to rough specification on simple, rolling terrain and/or level surfaces; inspects equipment daily and reports unsafe conditions; services and makes minor emergency repairs in garage or field; lubricates/oils equipment; does other related duties.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Operates equipment such as front end loaders and bulldozers to pull, pile, move, turn, lift, and load sand, gravel, leaves and refuse at various work sites on flat or rolling terrain.
- Operates equipment towed by a tractor such as a gang mower, and mows grass, and/or hauls or digs dirt with scrapers or pans.
- Clears brush, stumps, and rocks on flat and rolling terrain or levels earth to rough specification at construction sites with simple terrain problems.
- Excavates trenches and drainage ditches for culverts or streams, and utilizes manipulative control equipment to adjust attachments.
- Smooths surfaces, repairs small bumps, and fills holes.
- Operates truck-mounted hydraulic crane to lift/dump container into truck body.
- Ensures that equipment is ready for operation at all times by inspecting/lubricating moving parts, inspecting tires for proper inflation, checking brake hydraulic reservoir level and oil level, and conducting a general inspection of equipment for obvious deficiencies.
- Reads instructions and operation manuals to learn correct lubrication, adjustment, and repair procedures for assigned equipment.
- Performs a variety of manual unskilled laboring tasks and work assignments when not engaged in operation of equipment.
- May occasionally drive a truck.
- Reports any problems that cause a delay in completion of work assignment to the supervisor, either in writing or verbally.
- Receives assignments either in writing or orally explaining work to be done and equipment to be used to know the specifics of the assigned tasks.
- Will be required to learn to utilize various types of electronic and/or manual recording and information systems used by the agency, office, or related units.
One (1) year of experience in the operation and maintenance of construction and maintenance equipment. NOTE: Appropriate formal training in the operation of maintenance/construction equipment may be substituted for the indicated experience. LICENSE: Appointees must possess a driver's license valid in New Jersey. Appointees may also be required to possess a valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) and applicable endorsements for the class and type of vehicle being operated. NOTE: The responsibility for ensuring that employees possess the required motor vehicle license, commensurate with the class and type of vehicles they operate, rests with the Appointing Authority. KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES: Knowledge of the use of multiple controls on operating equipment
214A Center Grove Road
Randolph, New Jersey 07869