Brief Description of Job and Division/Department
The County of Morris, Juvenile Detention Center is currently seeking
a full time Juvenile Detention Officer controls the general conduct and behavior of juvenile residents.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Controlling the general conduct and behavior of juvenile residents, the maintenance of discipline, and custodial, recreational, and housekeeping functions.
- Supervises and/or participates in various programs/activities with juvenile residents to stimulate interest in and cooperation with various social/education programs.
- Keeps track of assigned juveniles under immediate charge through periodic head counts, and records schedules, activities, incidents, and medical information.
- Uses appropriate techniques to calm disruptive juvenile residents in a potentially dangerous situation and may physically restrain them to prevent them from endangering their health/safety or others.
- Searches juveniles’ clothing/possessions, and makes periodic room checks to detect contraband in accord with established policies, regulations, and procedures.
*This position requires rotating shifts covering 24 hours per day 7 days per week in a secure facility including weekends and holidays.*
Candidate will be required to complete the Police Training Commission “Basic Course for Juvenile Detention Officer” within 12 Months of probationary appointment. High School Diploma or equivalent required.
Department and Division
Human Services: Juvenile Detention Center
460 West Hanover Ave
Morris Township 07960