The Morris County Juvenile Detention Center is seeking a part-time Math Teacher to instruct juveniles placed in our facility. The educational program runs for 220 days per year and the position is for approximately 20 hours per week. During the normal school year, class hours are flexible to accommodate teachers employed in a local school district. Summer hours are generally 8:30 am to 1:00 pm. Employment in a local school district is not required as long as the Teaching Certificate meets the State requirements.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Plans subject matter to be taught.
- Devises courses of study in accord with individual’s abilities.
- Prepares periodic examinations or programs designed to measure resident’s scholastic knowledge and reading ability.
- Gives remedial math and/or other instruction to individual residents.
- Interviews new residents to determine their scholastic standing.
- Stimulates interest in the study program and confers with school authorities, psychologists, psychiatrists, and other interested persons on the resident’s progress.
- Prepares accurate and informative reports and keeps essential records and files.
Possession of a valid New Jersey regular Teacher’s certification in secondary level Math, and 15 semester hour credits in any one or in any combination of the following subject areas; compensatory education, affective education, urban education, special education, group dynamics, guidance or counseling.
NOTE: One year of experience in social work, counseling or teaching emotionally, socially or educationally atypical children may be substituted for the 15 semester hour credits in the above-specialized areas. Appointees will be required to possess a driver’s license valid in New Jersey only if the operation of a vehicle, rather than employee
Department and Division Human Services: Juvenile Detention Center
400 West Hanover Avenue
Morris Township NJ 07960