The Senior Youth Services Counselor is responsible for providing oversight of the social services case managers in the Juvenile Facilities Division of Human Services. The Senior Youth Services Counselor reviews resident case files to ensure their staff provides continuing preventative and rehabilitative social services to the residents. They assist in counseling and helping social workers deal effectively with resident issues related to their placement. They also review new intakes for mental health problems and determines if outside mental health services are required.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
Senior Youth Services Counselor provides oversight of the social services case managers at the Youth Shelter and Juvenile Detention Center. They represent the County and Juvenile Facilities in meetings, court and with community partners. The following are some of the related areas:
- Provide oversight of the social services components of the Youth Shelter and Juvenile Detention Center.
- Represent both Juvenile Facilities in court, community meetings, and outside agencies regarding mental health and discharge planning.
- Participate in staff meetings, training, and case review.
- Determine appropriateness of placement of juveniles in the shelter and detention facilities including mental health assessments.
- Ensure that individual treatment/discharge plans are timely, reasonable, and consistent with the participating agencies, family, and Family Court.
- Conduct performance reviews and evaluations of the social services staff.
- Perform related functions as requested by the Deputy Director and Director.
Possession of a Master's degree in Sociology, Vocational Rehabilitation,
Educational Counseling and Guidance, Psychology, or Social Work
from an accredited college or university.