Fair Housing Committee
The Fair Housing Committee is a committee of the Morris County Human Relations Commission. The mission of this Committee is to act as an advocate and educator for fair housing. To this end, the Committee will:
- Further the purpose of existing federal, state, and local fair housing laws and tenant/landlord rights and responsibilities.
- Develop, sponsor, and implement awareness, education, and training programs for the Morris County Community.
- Engage and mobilize Morris County social and economic organizations who provide housing services.
Definition of Fair Housing
- The Fair Housing Act protects people from discrimination when they are renting, buying, or securing financing for any housing. The prohibitions specifically cover discrimination because of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability and the presence of children.
Fair Housing and Section 8
- If you live in NJ and receive Federal rental assistance under HUD’s Section 8 housing choice voucher program, the NJ Law Against Discrimination applies to you.
- It is illegal for a landlord or realtor to reject you as a tenant because you wish to use a HUD voucher to pay part of the rent. To file a complaint please see below.
How to File a Complaint
If you think your rights have been violated, please contact the New Jersey Division on Civil Rights and/or the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Links for both agencies are listed below.
Fair Housing Related Resources
Fair Housing Service Providers
Join the Committee
To learn more about our work or to join us, e-mail Osman Davies at [email protected].