Office of Temporary Assistance (OTA)

Notice: During COVID-19 and beyond, we encourage you to apply for our services online. If you have any questions, call or email us instead of visiting in person for fast and easy service.

Notice: Please be advised, all visitors should park in the designated parking spaces located directly across from the main entrance marked with yellow "Visitor Parking" signs.

Our office provides financial, medical and social services, such as Medicaid and SNAP benefits.

We give benefits to clients that meet the necessary program criteria. Our staff gathers information and supporting documentation to determine a client’s eligibility.

You can also call us if you're looking for Child Support (paternity and location) services. Learn more about applying for child support.

We also help other government and non-profit agencies who may be able to help clients.


Emergency Supplemental Food Assistance Benefits

As of April 2021, a change was made that requires the temporary emergency supplemental food assistance benefit a household receives to be at least $95 in additional benefits.

Before April 2021, only households who were not receiving the maximum SNAP allotment for their household size received a temporary emergency supplemental benefit.

Going forward, households will receive at least $95 in emergency benefits or the maximum temporary benefit for your household size, whichever is greater.

For June, these additional emergency benefits will be available when your regular SNAP benefits are available.  The maximum SNAP benefit only continues while a state of emergency is in place at a state and federal level. Check back every month to see if the emergency allotment supplements will continue.

Benefits During COVID-19

The Morris County Office of Temporary Assistance would like to encourage clients to apply online or by phone for enrollment to our programs. Please note, due to the COVID-19 outbreak and the increase in applications, you may experience longer wait times in our response.


All extensions of certification periods and extensions of interim reporting requirements have ended.

To continue to receive SNAP benefits without interruption, please remember to

  1. recertify your case, and
  2. complete the IRF when it is sent to you and return it.

If not, your case will be closed and benefits will end.

SNAP Benefits

Eligible SNAP recipients who receive food assistance through NJ SNAP will receive at least $95 in emergency benefits ("supplementary emergency allotments") or the maximum temporary benefit for your household size, whichever is greater.

These supplemental emergency allotments will continue to be disbursed monthly, through the month following the expiration of New Jersey’s State of Emergency declaration (pending monthly Federal approval of the emergency allotment request.)

Check back every month to see if these temporary emergency allotment supplements will continue.

Remember, this is an extra SNAP benefit being made available to help you buy food in this public health crisis.

Temporary Changes

Ensuring you receive your benefits during this ongoing coronavirus concern is a top priority, so in an effort to make it easier for you to apply or receive your benefits, a number of temporary changes have been put in place regarding social services that are administered here at the Office of Temporary Assistance.

We are encouraging county residents who want to apply for SNAP food assistance, or cash assistance under the Work First New Jersey program to do so online at  During this public health crisis, we can do interviews by phone, so you do not need to come into the office to apply for benefits.

Our Offices

Main Office:

When you need to bring paperwork to the office, you can fax, mail or look for the drop box located in the foyer of the Main building. A staff person will be posted for any questions.

Phone: 973-326-7800
Fax: 973-326-7827

The Dover Office is closed to the public.
Phone: 973-682-4990

Rights and Responsibilities

Your Rights

You have the right to:

  • Have information that you give during the application process be kept private and confidential.
  • Receive a written advance notice whenever your benefits are reduced or discontinued.
  • Get an answer to any questions about benefits and/or information concerning other programs and services.
  • Receive immediate and/or emergency assistance benefits, if eligible.
  • Request a fair hearing if you don’t agree with any decision by this agency about your eligibility for benefits.

Special Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Provisions

You have the right to:

  • Receive a SNAP application by mail or in person on the day you request to file an application.
  • Have an adult who knows your circumstances make application for you
  • Not be interviewed before filing an application.  You need only to complete the applicant’s name and address and have the application signed by a responsible adult household member or authorized representative.
  • A home visit or telephone interview.
  • Receive SNAP benefits within seven days if you are in immediate need and qualify for expedited services.
  • Receive SNAP benefits within thirty days from your application date if you are eligible and we have received the necessary information.

Your Responsibilities

All Services

The applicant/household must:

  • Complete and sign the application, be interviewed and cooperate in the verification of information
  • Provide the agency with proof to support its income statements and cooperate in resolving any unconfirmed information
  • Cooperate in all reviews of its eligibility for benefits
  • Report changes in household circumstances, including but not limited to:
    • changes of address
    • changes in household size or composition
    • changes in income
    • increases in resources
    • changes in shelter costs
    • changes in child care costs
    • changes in medical costs

Special SNAP Provisions

The applicant/household must:

  • Use SNAP benefits to only purchase eligible items
  • Not put their money or possessions in someone else’s name in order to qualify for food stamps
  • Not make changes on any food stamp cards, coupons or documents
  • Not sell, trade or give away any SNAP cards, coupons or documents

What to Bring With You

This is a list of documents you will need to apply for different kinds of assistance.  (Some of them may not apply to you or your family.)  You need to bring original documents with you.  We will make copies.

You must prove to the worker one of the following:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Driver’s License
  • Old SNAP ID
  • School Photo ID
  • Work Photo ID
  • Voter Registration Card

You must have the Social Security Number for all household members.

You must prove where you live, unless you are homeless, with one of the following:

  • Current rent receipt showing landlord’s name & phone number, your mailing address, and amount of rent
  • Current rental assistance agreement
  • Current mortgage statement and/or tax bill
  • Current lease
  • Utility bill

If you are not able to work for medical reasons, you must bring a doctor’s note.

If you are not a U.S. citizen, you need a current I-94 or current I-551 (green card).


If you have any of the following, you must bring records, statements, or proof of their current value:

  • Bank Account (savings/checking)
  • Savings bonds
  • Money in a credit union
  • Christmas Club
  • IRA, Keogh or other investments
  • Property deed
  • Life/ medical insurance
  • Real estate (other than your home)
  • Burial plots/pre-paid funeral arrangements



You must show how much, how often you receive it, and where it comes from, with any of the following that apply to you:

  • Your last 4 pay stubs, showing gross wages and deductions.  If you are self-employed, last year’s tax records, with signatures.
  • Copy of pension check
  • Copy of interest statement from bank
  • Letter from employer giving amount of private disability
  • Child Support – copy of court order or letter from absent parent/copy of check stub
  • Signed/dated letter from provider of any money you receive on a regular basis
  • Property deed
  • Workers’ Compensation


What you pay each month:

  • Rent Receipt
  • Mortgage statement
  • Home Owner’s Insurance (if not included in your mortgage)
  • Gas/Electric bill
  • Phone bill
  • Water/Sewer bill
  • Coal/Wood/Oil bills
  • Residential insurance
  • Condo fees
  • Medical Bills that you pay on a regular basis (only if you are over age 60 or are disabled).

Child Care

If you pay for child care so you can work, go to job training or look for a job, you need a signed and dated letter from your child care provider with the following information:

  • Name of child care provider
  • Hourly /weekly/or daily fee
  • Number of hours per week they provide child care