Cultural Resources Survey
The History of Morris County, New Jersey:
It has just begun to be written.
“Is Iustus Exorsus Futurus Scriptum”
Morris County Veterans' Histories
We're currently working on a page about Morris County's Afghanistan War veterans. If you'd like to contribute, email Jan Williams at [email protected].
Other Ongoing Projects
If you have information to add to any of these projects, please email Jan Williams at [email protected].
In 1986, The Morris County Heritage Commission, sponsored by the Morris County Board of Chosen Freeholders (now County Commissioners) conducted the first county-wide cultural resources survey.
Undertaken back then by the professional consulting firm known as Acroterion, each of the thirty-nine municipalities that make up Morris County was surveyed to locate and identify sites important historically and culturally both to Morris County and the United States.
As over twenty years have passed since The Acroterion’s report, Morris County’s Office of Planning and Preservation has begun taking stock of its historic and cultural features, primarily to:
- document changes that have occurred over the last 20 years to existing historic sites
- add historic sites that were over-looked in 1986
- define boundaries for historic districts
- verify what sites have been demolished
- verify what sites have been relocated into or out of Morris County
- showcase the broad spectrum of cultural resources Morris County offers
- map Morris County’s historic sites
For more information about this project, or to contribute, email Jan Williams at [email protected].